Karratha Who's Who
Distinguished and Famous people from Karratha
Karratha is a remote, yet important, city in the Pilbara region of Western Australia. Over the years, it has been home to some of the most distinguished and famous people in Australia. Here are some of them:
1. Kevin Bloody Wilson - Born in Sydney, Kevin Bloody Wilson is a musical comedian who has lived in Karratha for many years. He is known for his irreverent, satirical and occasionally obscene songs, which have earned him a large following in Australia and around the world.
2. Michael Johnson - Michael Johnson is a former AFL player who played for the West Coast Eagles and Fremantle Dockers in the 1990s. He was born in Karratha and began his football career playing for Karratha Kats.
3. Troy Cook - Another former AFL player from Karratha, Troy Cook played for both the Fremantle Dockers and the St Kilda Saints. He was drafted to the AFL from the Karratha Kats.
4. Bob Maumill - Bob Maumill is a television journalist and documentary filmmaker who has won numerous awards for his work. He is best known for his documentary series The Colony, which documents life in a maximum-security prison in South Australia.
5. Jay Gorman - Jay Gorman is a professional rally driver who has won multiple national championships in Australia. He was born in Karratha and began his racing career at a young age.
6. Sharon Johal - Sharon Johal is an actress and lawyer who is best known for her role as Dipi Rebecchi on the Australian soap opera Neighbours. She was born in Karratha and grew up in the nearby town of Port Hedland.
7. Walter "Digger" Thomas - Walter "Digger" Thomas was a World War II veteran who was awarded the Victoria Cross, the highest military honour in the British Commonwealth. He was born in Karratha in 1915 and enlisted in the Australian Army in 1940.
8. John Butler - John Butler is a musician and songwriter who is best known for his work with the John Butler Trio. He was born in California but spent much of his childhood in Karratha, where his father worked in the mining industry.
9. Peter Dowding - Peter Dowding is a barrister and former politician who served as the Premier of Western Australia from 1988 to 1990. He was born in Karratha in 1945 and was the son of a schoolteacher.
10. Jim Morrison - Jim Morrison is a former Australian rules football player who played for the Geelong and West Coast Eagles in the 1980s and 1990s. He was born in Karratha and began his football career playing for the Karratha Kats.
These are just a few of the many distinguished and famous people who have come from Karratha. Despite its remote location, the city has produced a wide range of talented and accomplished individuals who have made significant contributions to their respective fields.